Saturday, December 4, 2010

17-Milllion Dollar Man

I have yet to find out in the news who actually won the recent 741-million peso lottery. That’s 17-million dollar if converted in current peso-to-dollar rate. I suppose it’s hard to imagine someone coming out in public with the winning ticket combination without fear or apprehension knowing everyone’s eyes and ears are waiting. 

Just thinking about it, I honestly don’t know what I will do if I was that doggone lucky winner and have to claim the prize one day. Should I hire the notorious and dreaded Ampatuans to protect me? 

But I definitely know what I will do with the money if I have them at my disposal. Expand our scholarship project, sending more unprivileged kids to school and build my dream library. 

Oh I forgot, I will finally retire and tour the world too!

Every soul I know played that number game hoping this Christmas will be the merriest ever. I don’t feel bad for any of them not winning, after all, lottery is a game of chance, and a game I was never interested at all in playing. Yes, once in a while I buy tickets, usually when I stop by gas station and use the change for one or 2 quick picks. Months or ever years after, you’ll still find those tickets in my wallet left folded and unchecked. That’s how uninterested I am about the game. 

But not my father-in-law! 

He religiously play week in and week out with the same numbers; a collection of birth dates, anniversary dates, death dates, blind dates and what not. That’s the only reason I have daily newspaper subscription in the first place; for him to check the winning combinations and find out if I will be a richer son-in-law. Hehehe. 

In that recent lottery, the 1-in-29-million odds of winning seem overwhelming. The good thing is all that is playing have the same fair chance of getting the right combination numbers, perhaps even have the same dreams of what they will do with the money if found 17-million dollar richer the following morning. 

Sometimes, luck really comes into play in life. Just don’t always depend on it. You’ll be disappointed.

2 comments:

balik-taya said...

akalain mo, balikbayan pa ang nanalo from New York. ang swerte nga naman!

Anonymous said...

isipin mo nga naman,anyway kung ang nanalo naman ay residente sa pinas paano na buhay nya ngayon?maraming magtatanong san kumukuha ng pera yun to buy things na hard to afford di ba.sa tate ok lang walang tanungan. maybe that's GOD's plan.....sa nanalo congrats and hope na gamitin nya yun sa mabuti and help PINAS...