Friday, February 13, 2009

Isn't that romantic?

Below are the entries to a Washington Post competition asking for a two-line rhyme with the most romantic first line and the least romantic second line.

Here are the finalists:

My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife
Marrying you has screwed up my life.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I see your face when I am dreaming.
That's why I always wake up screaming.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
This describes everything you are not.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Love may be beautiful, love may be bliss,
But I only slept with you 'cause I was pissed.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I thought that I could love no other
that is until I met your brother.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's empty and so is your head.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I want to feel your sweet embrace;
But don't take that paper bag off your face.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I love your smile, your face, and your eyes.
Damn, I'm good at telling lies!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My love, you take my breath away.
What have you stepped in to smell this way?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My feelings for you no words can tell,
Except for maybe 'Go to hell.'
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What inspired this amorous rhyme?
Two parts vodka, one part lime.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was floored by these rhymes and I couldn't agree more. It actually made my day.....and night as well.

Thank you for a nice blog mr. webmaster.

Anonymous said...

" AMOR CON AMOR CON SEPAGA "
...love begets love ....
may we all enjoy the privilage of being love as we give love ...not only with our family , wife , kids , but to all our friends as well ... a caring attitude ... a warm response ...a cheerful smile ... a simple gesture of mutual respect ...happy dispositon.
P-lease,A-lways,R-emember,I-'m, S-incere , FRANCE , they claim to be the most romantic city ,

Anonymous said...

so how was your hearts day mr. webmaster?

Anonymous said...

it's better to be late than never. in anyway, everyday is hearts day for me cause i'm overflowing with love everyday..so happy hearts day to ol klasmeyts and lovers..
just curious and begging your pardon. mr or miss jewel, pwede pakilala ka naman. medyo nagugulumihanan lang ako kung sino 'kaw.

Anonymous said...

guess what, i forgot it was our
10th year wedding anniversary on the 13th. my hubby brought home a boquet of flowers that night and greeted me happy valentines and happy anniversary at the same time. that's when i remembered. ha! ha!
when we got married there on the 13th all the hotels and motels were fully booked. can u imagine?

Anonymous said...

belated happy anniversary to lil & her fortunate husband , bias ba , kasi eh friend natin si lil , ha ha ha , all motels & hotels then are fully booked , and so were you!cheers!

Batch '78 said...

so lil, i guess the night of the wedding wasn't as eventful as it should be co'z no rooms were available that time...was it?.....hehehe....

Happy Anniversary dear!

Anonymous said...

mwe-he-he-he!
was it nga ba?
belated happy anniversary.

Anonymous said...

next time you get married & you wanna spend your honeymoon in a hotel, be sure you have reservations specially on peak load.

rene san andres said...

happy anniversary to you lil and your hubby. may the 10 years you're together last long _nth folds. di ko bingyan ng number baka mali prediction ko. but i should wish you the best.
if you got married in the phils, di lang siguro fully book on the 13th but there's mild tremors pa siguro sa motel and hotel areas. everybody knows na kung bakit. di ba kakang vic?

Anonymous said...

anonymous , curious lang ako , yung next time you get married....ikaw ba yan? hello!

Anonymous said...

what's wrong with "getting married next time?" ;-)

Anonymous said...

hello jewel , may we know who you please , nothings wrong with the next time , depende syempre sa given situation , nevertheless , clue naman , girl ka ba o boy , di kaya ?? hello , joke lang!know what , the letter verification for this blog is BITIN , no kidding.

rene san andres said...

nalamlambungan na ng hiwaga si jewel. i have some hints pero di ako sure. i should say na it's time na magpakilala ka na..please. nasasabik na kaming makilala. maybe you're laughing at us while all at lost on your identity..
ano na mga klasmeyts, siguro we need a solid voice asking jewel to unmask him or herself..sige na please!